Our Year 4 activity was entitled ‘ Fiesta’ . The aims of this activity were for children at Salusbury to
- Learn about how our partner school celebrates their festival
- Learn how their community gets involved in the celebrations
- To understand what is similar and what is different between the two cultures
- to develop a greater insight into their own culture and festivals in UK
In collaboration with MBollet Ba students, our Year 4 children explored a festival and prepared guide or pack about a festival from their own culture that was shared with partner school. Salusbury students learnt about the Eid festival that students in MBollet Ba had researched. while children in the Gambia learnt about the festival of Easter that Salusbury students had worked on.
Some of the Activities Salusbury students completed included::
- Researching the history of Easter festival
- Writing an information pack about the festival that was sent to Mbollet-Ba pupils
- Designing and making Easter bonnets
- Easter parade including singing Easter songs
- Designing the menu and hosting an afternoon tea for family members
The children then learnt about the Eid festival from Mbollet Ba students and looked at similarities and differences between the two.
I think it is very nice for children to be able to have parents in school during school time. It is great to see the children’s hats and hear them singing’ Year 4 Salusbury parent