Role and Expectations
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED?
•You need a strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children.
•You need to have inquisitiveness to question and analyse but also be able to offer support.
• You need to have good inter-personal skills and sufficient numeracy skills to understand basic data.
• You need the ability and willingness to learn and develop new skills.
WHAT DOES THE ROLE ENTAIL?
• The role requires you to spend a reasonable amount of time on it. As well as attending meetings, you will need to spend sufficient time to understand the role, the concepts and education policy in the UK.
• You will attend two governing body meetings a term for two to three hours
• You will sit on one or two committees of the governing body which look at specific areas and which meet once or twice a term.
• You will need to be prepared to take on a role as a link governor for one curricular area or subject matter in the school, such as health and safety.
• You must read papers in advance of meetings.
• You will act as a link between the parent body and the school.
• You must undertake training with the local authority’s governor support programme.
• You will make at least one official visit a year to the school.
• You may take part in an interview panel on occasion, as required.
• You will need to be supportive and aware of the importance of confidentiality in certain circumstances.